**Under contruction**
Sellersville Fire Company No. 1
When Sellersville was first incorportated as a borough back in 1874, the formation of a fire company wasn't a high priority. During the spring of 1881, the initial form of fire protection was the use of paper buckets purchased by the borough that would be used by citizens in case of any fire or any other emergency. But it wasn't until four years later, in spring of 1885, that the citizens of Sellersville petitioned the borough for a better form of fire protection. The Borough Council responded by purchasing two large ladders and a dozen more paper buckets.
It wasn't until three prominent industries were destroyed by fire in 1888 that the need for an organized fire company was essential to the town's growth. The last of which, is believed to be this fire, on May 13th. On May 24th, 1888, the Borough Council appointed two citzens, Charles N. Cressman and Charles M. Berkemeyer, to conduct a special election in the former Sellers' Tavern building. The ballot saw a proposal for the Borough to obtain fire apparatus to form a fire company. In a vote of 59 to 2, the idea of an organized Company moved forward. June 4th, 1888, the town council appointed four borough residents, Charles N. Cressman, Harrison C. Stout, John R. Newbold, and Henry H. "Harry" Cope, to organize a volunteer fire company. On June 7, 1888 the Sellersville Volunteer Fire Company was organized - being the first in the North Penn region.
The first officers of the new Fire Company were:
Chief, Chas. (Charles) N. Cressman |
1st Assistant, Harrison C. Stout |
2nd Assistant, John Newbold |
3rd Assistant, H. H. Cope |
Treasurer, H. C. Scheetz |
Secretary, Charles F. Jacoby |
Assistant Secretary, Hysler J. Zane |
Trustees, Henry C. Moore, H. C. Stout, and Hysler J. Zane |
During this time, a committee composed of Heckler, Moore, and Stout were tasked with finding an apparatus to purchase. H.C. Stout, described in the February 14th, 1889 edition of the News Herald as one who "ran with the laddies", was said to have experience with "the fire demon" and tirelessly contacted eastern Pennsylvania fire departments for an apparatus. A side break hand engine that was never in service, was negotiated for with Mr. W. W. Wunder that formerly belonged to Blairsville, Indiana County, PA. The essentially brand new apparatus was estimated to cost $1,200 ($40,000 in today's money) and was refitted and repainted for a cost of $400 ($1,300 today.) In either late July or early August, the hand pumper was delivered and was "guaranteed to throw water to a distance of one hundred and fifty feet."
Along with the hand pumper, other equipment was purchased during this time. 800 hundred feet of hose was purchased together with a "very fine hose carriage, with glass panels in cylinder, from the Allentown Fire Department, formerly belonging to the Liberty Fire Hose Co.."
From newspaper articles dated February 14th, 1889, the then new Fire Company also had purchased a hose carriage from the Phoenxville Hose Co. and had rebuilt it. The article goes on to say that "...it is not required in the outfit of the Sellersville Fire Department." This is the hose carriage that is currently on display at the Philadelphia Fireman's Hall Museum.
.jpg)
Summer of 1888, Borough Council purchased a lot near the railroad intersection on N. Main Street that would house the newly organized Sellersville Volunteer Fire Company. By October, the new 24' X 44' firehouse, frequently refered to as "Firemen's Hall", was completed. The first floor was used to store fire apparatus and the second floor was used for company meetings and Borough Council Chambers. Years later in 1894, a two-story addition was constructed off the rear of the building, housing three jail cells on the first floor and new Borough Council Chambers on the second.

In the 1920's, the original 1888 firehouse was quickly being outgrown. Initially, the men were reluctant and thought that the firehouse was sufficient for their needs. In April of 1924, he Ladies Auxiliary of the Sellersville Fire Department had requested the men look into building a new, modern firehouse that would include a large banquet/dance hall to host large events. By June, after months of no action, the ladies grew impatient and purchased a plot of land on Main Street, adjacent to the Northeast Branch of the Perkiomen Creek to construct a new firehouse. The new firehouse was more centrally located in town to better serve the growing southern part of the Borough. Construction began in the summer of 1927 on a new two story brick building measuring 32' X 98' was completed in the summer of 1928. The first floor had three apparatus bays to the left, a social room for members in the center, and 2 storefronts to the right. On the second floor there was a large social hall and kitchen.
In April of 1950, construction on the first of 2 expansions to this firehouse was awarded to 3 different construction firms. The $11,000 new addition, added a fireproof stairway, increased apparatus facilities (which was needed to fit the newly acquired 1950s Army surplus Tanker truck), and a moderinzed kitchen and toilet facilities.
By April of 1963 the fire station was once again outgrown. The construction contract for a 21' X 42' addition was awarded to the Lewis Brothers of Quakertown. The new addition provided additional room for the Department's fleet of fire apparatus and provided a large kitchen facility on the second floor. Construction was completed in 1964.
By 1997 construction was completed on the larger, state of the art firehouse that was able to suit the growing Department's needs. The new firehouse was constructed further back from Main Street than the previous firehouse, provided a larger banquet hall and kitchen for rentals, club room for the members, and larger pull-thru apparatus bays.

(125th Anniversary of the Department - 2013)
In 1979, the Department began leasing a structure at the intersection of Forrest Road and Ridge Valley Road from West Rockhill Township to be used as a substation. Station 87 as it was numbered then, before the Quakertown Fire Department acquired the number, housed the 1974 Ford-FMC-Spartan-John Bean pumper as well as the 1971 Dodge Power Wagon field unit. Due to a lack of volunteers, delayed response times, and lack of financial support, the substation was closed on February 28, 1999.

Sellersville Volunteer Hose Company No. 2
To this day, very limited is known about Company No. 2. Early Borough Council minutes and other local newspapers refer to a "Sellersville Volunteer Hose Company No. 2" being located in the south end of Sellersville, refered to as "Jersey" by those residents. In early 1898, a petition was signed by the residents of "Jersey" requesting the Borough to establish a fire station. No builidng was ever constructed during that time, but equipment may have been purchased.
On April 6, 1911 the Sellersville Volunteer Fire Company, No. 2 was officially organized, with the charter being filed on September 18th. President of the new Company, Frederick Schubert (who was also the General Manager of the U.S. Gauge Company), donated land from the U.S. Gauge property to construct a new building for Company No. 2. The new building was built on the south side of E Clymer Avenue and was described as a 14' X 22' building. On September 20, 1911 Company No. 2 was incorporated with a formal building dedication to be held on November 18th, 1911. A 1913 Sanborn Insurance map below shows the location of the firehouse being roughly located around the slight bend on E Clymer Avenue. (Believed to be approxmiately where the present day Sellersville Beverage parking lot is.)

(Sellersville Volunteer Fire Company No. 2, ca. 1913)
(Chief Charles H. Daub, center of photo)
The same 1913 Sanborn Insurance map describes the Borough's fire service as: "Volunteer - 2 companies - 50 members in each. No horses. 1 hand Eng. 2 - 2 wheel hose jumpers. 1 - 4 wheel hose carriage. 1 H. & L. truck - 1900' 2 1/2" cotton rubber lined hose - good - alarm by whistle on I.O.O.F. Temple bldg. supplemented by split tire alarm at R.R. crossing where gateman is on duty all night ..." The split tire alarm that is referenced, still exists and currently resides in the front lawn of the fire house.
During the July 14th, 1920 meeting, Company 1 voted and approved to be offically be recognized as the Sellersville Fire Department. Although several members from Company No. 1 had left to join the ranks of Company No. 2 during the short time they were around, at a special meeting called on July 21, 1920 the two companies merged and both agreed to move forward under the Department title.
Sellersville Fire Chiefs
Below is a list of all the men who have served as Chief for both Sellersville Companies as well as the consolidated Department. Until the two Companies combined their efforts, several accounts suggest that the office of Chief was shared between Company No. 1 and Company No. 2. Minutes state the election for Chief would take place at Company No. 1's headquarters on odd-numbered years and at Company No. 2's headquarters on even-numbered years. During the December 1912 election, the term Sellersville Fire Department seemingly first surfaced, as Charles Daub was "elected Chief of the Sellersville Fire Department."
Years |
Name of Chief |
1888-1889 |
Charles N. Cressman |
1890-1891 |
Abraham F. Groff |
1892-1896 |
Martin Callahan |
1897-1898 |
Milton Schwager |
1900-1902 |
Emanuel N. Shelly |
1903-1905 |
Hysler J. Zane, Sr. Esq. |
1906-1908 |
Edwin B. George |
1909 |
B. Harvey Smith |
1910 |
William F. Gentner |
1911 |
Samuel S Buchert |
1912 |
William S. Schlichter (Company No. 1) |
1913 |
Charles H. Daub Company No. 2) |
1914 |
James F. Cressman (Company No. 1) |
1915 |
Paul Pade (Company No. 2) |
1916 |
Henry A. "Harry" Wilson |
1916-1917 |
Frank H. Althouse |
1918 |
Harry E. Barndt |
1919 |
Charles H. Daub |
1919-1923 |
Frank H. "Mike" Hallman |
1924-1925 |
Frank H. Althouse |
1926-1937 |
William D. Taylor |
1938-1940 |
Herman F. Winzer |
1941 |
Philip Coll |
1941-1946 |
William E. Steeley |
1947-1974 |
Joseph E. "Poppa Joe" Hufnagle, Sr. |
1975-1980 |
Harry J. McElhare, Sr. |
1981-1992 |
Thomas C. Hufnagle |
1993-1994 |
Craig A. Wilhelm |
1995-1996 |
Donald J. Wilson |
1997-1999 |
John W. Hufnagle |
2000-2005 |
Donald J. Wilson |
2006-2007 |
Harry J. McElhare, Jr. |
2008-2010 |
John Lindsay |
2011-2014 |
Raymond Brennan |
2015- Present |
Kurt J. Wagner |
Presidents of the Sellersville Fire Company/Department
The original meeting minutes of the Department indicated the the position of Chief was in charge of all functions of the Fire Company. The original bylaws of Company 1 outlines the duty of the Chief to "decide all questions when the votes are equal" and no mention of a title of President is found. But, there is conflicting information to this. In a parade souvenir program from the 6th Annual Bucks County Firemen's Association held in Sellersville, the programs has a Company 1 history section stating the first elected officers included President, Henry C. Moore.
The first mention of "President" that has been found in Department meeting minutes was from the May 9th, 1906 meeting. Until further information can be researched in Department meeting minutes, it is safe to assume that the office of Fire Chief was in charge of all functions until the title of President became official.
In August 1920, the 2 Sellersville Fire Companies merged and reorganized under President Charles Daub.
Below is a list of all the men who have served as President of the Sellersville Fire Department.
Years |
Name of President |
1888 |
|
1906-1907 |
Edwin B. George |
1907-1908 |
Floyd W. Keifer |
1908-1912 |
W. S. Schlichter |
1912-1914 |
James Cressman |
1914 -1916 |
William S. Shelly |
1916-1918 |
Harry Wilson |
1918-1920 |
William Scheetz |
January 1920 - August 1920 |
Alexander Alexander |
August 1920-1922 |
Charles Daub |
1922-1923 |
M. Sutzman (?) |
1923-1924 |
W. S. Schlichter |
1924-1925 |
Alexander Alexander |
1925-1927 |
William C. Stauffer |
1927-1928 |
Thomas Wagner |
1928-1932 |
Francis "Fritz" Kemmerer |
1932-1934 |
W. Lee Wilhelm |
1934-1939 |
Irvin Hartman |
1939-1940 |
Louis G. Cressman |
1940-1941 |
W. Lee Wilhelm |
1941-1942 |
Roland T. Moyer |
1942-1948 |
Joseph Hufnagle |
1948-1950 |
Leroy Horn |
1951-1953 |
Marcus Wenhold |
1953-1958 |
Melvin Keyser |
1958-1962 |
Malvin Blackwell |
1962-1966 |
Richard Coll |
1967 |
Harry McElhare, Sr. |
1968-1971 |
Melvin Keyser |
1971-1981 |
Malvin Blackwell |
1981-1984 |
Jim Hull |
1984-1986 |
Dave Wilson |
1986-1989 |
Jim Hull |
1989-1992 |
David Hufnagle |
1992-1995 |
Joe McDonald |
1995-1996 |
Jim Hull |
1996-1998 |
Joe McDonald |
1998-2002 |
Scott Wambold |
2002-2009 |
Joe McDonald |
2009-2012 |
Greg Castelli |
January-August 2012 |
Joe McDonald |
September 2012 |
Acting President, Tom Louden |
October 2012-2014 |
Greg Castelli |
2014-2018 |
William "Bill" Spaeth |
2018-2021 |
Greg Castelli |
2022-Present |
Greg Swierzewski |
Notable events in Sellersville Fire Department History
May 1888 |
Major fire in Sellersville prompts swift action to form a Fire Company |
June 7th, 1888 |
Sellersville Fire Company is offically organized |
June 26th, 1888 |
Original equipment is requested for the Borough to purchase. Includes 700' of hose, 6 ladders, 4 hooks and axes, a Hook and Ladder truck, and a hose carriage |
Summer 1888 |
Borough purchases land to build a fire house |
1889 |
New firehouse completed. Apparatus moved in and ready to respond out of |
June 1st, 1890 |
Large fire breaks out at the Perkasie Hotel. Sellersville Fire Company were called and were assisted by Lansdale, who has arrived by train. Newspaper articles suggest our apparatus were damaged during this fire. Hope Fire Company of Perkasie to be founded a month later |
May 20th, 1901 |
Offically incorporated and charter granted by the court of Bucks County |
October 1903 |
Elegant silver firemen's trumpet is received |
November 11th, 1907 |
Relief association formed and is still operational, today |
April 6th, 1911 |
Fire Company No. 2 is offically organized |
September 20, 1911 |
Fire Company No. 2 is offically chartered |
November 4th, 1911 |
In a Department ledger book, Fire Company No. 2 purchases an elegant banner, which is on display in the present day fire house |
November 18th, 1911 |
On land donated by the US Gauge, Company No. 2 dedicates their firehouse |
June 14th, 1913 |
Fire Company No. 2 joins the Bucks County Firemen's Association
|
April 14th, 1916 |
First motorized piece of apparatus is voted on to purchase |
September 1916 |
The motorized La France-Brockway is delivered and placed in service |
July 21st, 1920 |
Company No. 1 and Company No. 2 after long discussions, decide to merge and reorganize as the Sellersville Volunteer Fire Department |
November 1924 |
Since April, the Ladies Auxiliary insist a new firehouse be built. Their argument to the men, who are satisfied with the current firehouse, is ""the house is entirely too small for them to "take care of a crowd" and make worth while money...""
In November, Ladies Auxiliary purchase the lot owned by Allen Cope on Main Street. (Present location of current firehouse)
|
July 6th, 1925 |
After recommendations to purchase a Mack, La France, or Seagrave, a Hahn pumper is ordered, being the "cheaper option." Approximate cost to the town was $6,100 |
1927 |
At an approximate cost of $20,000, new fire station planned |
1931 |
Several newspaper articles suggest that the Department under the direction of Chief William D. Taylor, established a school of its own to conduct training classes. The first of its kind for our area that continued for many years |
January 13th, 1937 |
Department votes to sell the Hose Cart for $150 under the "provision that the apparatus be on permanent exhibition at Independence Hall." Now currently at the Philadelphia Fireman's Hall Museum |
March 24th, 1938 |
Motion passed to buy a Ford V-8 chassis and Ford motor for fire pump from Hale. |
|
|
November 13th, 1939 |
The first state-sponsored 18 week fire school class in the North Penn Valley is held in Sellersville. 52 volunteers from Sellersville, Perkasie, and Silverdale attend. Plans for this first of its kind school were made by Sellersville Fire Chief, Herman Winzer. Lieutenant Roy Buchmoyer of the Allentown Fire Department to be the regular instructor |
January 1948 |
After the December 1947 elections, Joe Hufnagle Sr. elected as fire chief |
December 1974 |
After servicing as Fire Chief for 30 years, Chief Joe Hufnagle Sr. steps down |
January 1996 |
During a special meeting, the Department voted to replace the 70 year old firehouse |
May 31st, 1997 |
New state of the art firehouse is offically opened |
August 1998 |
The Departmnet buys back its 1938 Ford |
November 17th, 1999 |
While enroute to a barn fire in West Rockhill Township, the 1988 FMC Engine 27-1 crashes, severely injuring its crew |
September 2000 |
Contract signed with E-One Fire Apparatus to purchase new engine. This new engine being the first enclosed cab in Department history and the first non-FMC ordered since 1988 |
June 15th, 2013 |
Department celebrates 125 years of service to Sellersville Borough and the surrounding community. Parade held to celebrate |
August 2021 |
Contract was signed with Pierce Manufacturing of Appleton, Wisconsin for the contruction of a new Rescue-Engine. First true Rescue truck in Department history |
September 1st, 2021 |
Hurricane Ida sept through the area bringing substantial amount of rain, flooding the inside of firehouse |
Information obtained from Timothy D. Hufnagle's book, "Sellersville, PA. a Tapestry Through Time 1738-2013"

|